Friday, February 1, 2008

The Power of a Résumé




This week for class we had the great opportunity to attend the Westminster College “Experience Outlet.” It was essentially an internship/summer job fair where employees from companies around the Pittsburgh area came to meet students interested in getting job experience. One of the main components to fully utilizing the fair was bringing a personal résumé. I had made résumés in the past, but never really at a professional level which showcased all of my dimentions, education and skills. The first step I took in the process of creating my résumé was to list all the things which promote me as a young professional in the coroporate communications realm. I listed facts about my education, relative courses, leadership activities, work experience, honors/awards, travel experiences and skills in broadcasting, public relations and computers. After compiling a mass of information, I contacted the career center to set up an advising appointment. The career center staff helped me narrow my information and format it into an appealing and polished final product. Finally the process of writing my first résumé was almost complete, and after printing them out and holding them in my hands, I felt very satisfied at the step I had taken into the professional work world. I think the résumé has a great power in selling yourself not only as a professional but as a unique person with many dimensions. This in turn, can attract a company to you and help them realize what you can do for their workplace. The next day I attended the fair and met many interesting representatives, many of which were very eager to know more about my education in broadcasting and public realtions. I handed out several résumés with a smile and hope to hear soon from the companies which I met at the “Experience Outlet.”

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You've leaped miles ahead in the resume building efforts. Great job-- but keep on the lookout for who would be valuable to add to your reference sheet...