Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ace the Competition!




Most of you reading this blog probably already know me pretty well, but for those who do not, I wanted to provide a little insight into my life this week. I’m a pretty busy guy here at Westminster College, and one of my passions and favorite leisurely activities is tennis. It has become more than just a pass-time here at college however; it’s become a full blown time commitment and has fired up my competitive side to the extreme. Every spring when I pick up that tennis racket and lace up my sneaks to walk onto the court I get inspired. Inspired to win, inspired to work to my full potential, and inspired to be the best that I can be.
I have noticed this feeling being spilled over into my studies and professional life as well recently. As noted in my post last week, my internship hunt has been going pretty well and presenting a lot of positive opportunities. I just found out at the beginning of this week however, that I have yet another opportunity coming my way. On Monday, I got a call from the marketing department at Anderson Coach & Travel in nearby Greenville, Pennsylvania to set up an interview. I sent my resume for the job to Anderson a few months ago and initially wanted to do this internship because it will incorporate many skills in public relations work and marketing. Plus the internship is PAID! Yes, that’s right, an actual paid internship! This is exciting because I would not have to get another part time job to help pay for living expenses this summer if I was already getting paid to do an internship. My interview is on Wednesday, and I couldn’t be more excited for it, but at the same time I am feeling torn. I really enjoyed my interview at WKBN in Youngstown, and would love the chance of working in the newsroom getting experience in the broadcasting field. I have to think about my professional goals however and what would be best for me. I mean I haven’t even been guaranteed the internship at Anderson because I still have to interview for it, but eventually if I do get picked for it, I will just have to weigh the positives and negatives for both of the jobs and decide what would be most beneficial for me. Relating back to my tennis references, I believe in the internship and professional world it is just as important to “Ace the competition.” You need to show employers what you are made of, how hard of a worker you can be, and distinguish yourself from the others in your field!

1 comment:

Christina said...

awesome action shot. nice form. :)