Saturday, April 19, 2008

If the Shoe Fits...


This week as I blog, I would like to turn the spotlight away from capstone for just a moment to talk about another valuable class I am taking this semester, Broadcast Sales/Advertising.  Before taking this sales class, I really had no interest in sales or really knew what it was all about.  As we began the class however, I found it extremely insightful and found myself wanting to make myself a better sales person.  As the semester winds down, one of our last assignments in class is to take everything we have learned about sales/advertising and interview a successful sales person.  I found myself scrambling to find someone that would be interesting for an interview, until I made a trip home to Meadville this weekend.  I started talking to my parents about the assignment and they suggested I talk to their friend, Carole Andreas about her career in sales.  Carole had been over to our home a few times in the past and I had enjoyed her company so I was interested to sit down and talk to her about exactly what she did in the sales and marketing business.  It came as quite a surprise to me that Carole has so many various talents and products including: fine art, consignment projects, advertising design and production.  She has her own shop and art gallery in downtown Meadville, where she meets with clients concerning advertising promotions and also continues her love of creating original fine art pieces.  One of the most interesting promotions campaigns she has worked on was one with music legend, Madonna.  Madonna released a children's book The English Roses recently, and along with it, a wide array of children's clothes and accessories to help promote the book.  Carole Andreas, which was sitting in front of me at the very moment, had helped Madonna design shoes for her line!  This was a very exciting surprise to me, as I have been a fan of Madonna ever since I can remember and have even bought some of her "M" men's fashion line from retailer H&M.  Now I am even more excited to report my findings and talk about my interview with Carole to my broadcast sales/advertising class next week!  This really goes to prove that connections are all around you.  I never fully believed my professors when they said "ask your parents who they know, you would be surprised" until I found myself interviewing a local fine artist who has designed for a worldwide superstar.  You may have to dig a little, but you will be surprised who you have in your social network and whom you may be linked to!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Sounds like you could channel some of the sales interest into your capstone project.