Sunday, April 27, 2008

What Dosen't Kill You Only Makes You...


I’ve heard this phrase before, but didn’t understand its true meaning until this week. This was honestly one of the toughest weeks I have ever faced academically in my college career. Many things happened in my classes which pushed me to the edge but the real topper was when my capstone class met on Thursday to pitch our senior project proposals. We had to come up with a short summary of what the main point of our project would be, a list of objectives, strategies, and evaluation methods. Our capstone professor then asked the other members of the broadcasting faculty to come into our class to give us feedback on our proposals. Essentially my project was to target the student body of the college and get them interested in watching the college television station through radio advertisements, campus advertisements and other strategies. I originally thought I had a pretty strong project because everyone I talked to about it seemed pretty excited about what I was doing. When I pitched my project idea to the faculty however, they were less than excited. I was told that I should not target the students at all because the student body changes every year. I was also told that I shouldn’t focus my energy on making posters, flyers and campus advertisements either. After getting shot down by the firing squad, they suggested that I focus my project on a different audience, that of the Lawrence/Mercer county community. When I take a step back and think about it, they were right in saying this because the community around us is essentially who watches our network and our programming. I think it will be a fun and rewarding project to connect with the community and obtain a stronger viewer ship for WCN using my promotional strengths. Overall, this week really showed me how to take constructive criticism and have a thick skin, because in the end what doesn’t kill you really makes you stronger!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

AUDIENCE is everything in the biz.
But having a secondary impact on additional viewers is a good thing as well.